Information security and cybersecurity are two terms used in the security industry. The terms are different, and every company that wants to invest in security frameworks should understand the difference.
Confidentiality, integrity, and availability may not be the phrases common with cybersecurity experts, but they are part of the best information security policy. The main part of cyber security is knowing a segment of information security.
Cybersecurity vs Cyber Security
Cybersecurity and cyber security are the same. It is spelled as one word. As explained by NIST, cybersecurity is the act of protecting or defending cyberspace from cyber threats. In other words, cybersecurity involves threats from the outside or the inside of a company. This framework basically protects and secures anything that is prone to attacks, hacks, or unauthorized access. This consists of computers, networks, servers, devices, and programs.
These threats range from business institutions to personal devices. The attacks are categorized into network security, information security, operational security, application security, and disaster recovery, together with business continuity.
Application security and network security involve the security of computer networks, software, and devices from attacks and vulnerabilities. Disaster recovery involves the company’s reaction in case of a breach and trying to recover its operational capabilities to continue with its business operations.
Understanding cybersecurity may not be easy unless organizations understand the various types of attacks. Attacks are divided into different categories. These are:
- Cybercrime- This targets financial gains
- Cyber-attacks- These are mainly political attacks
These threats are regulated using different mediums line malware, which involves viruses, spyware, trojans, botnets, adware, and ransomware. Other attacks are SQL injections, denial-of-service attacks, and phishing.
Cybersecurity is also related to protecting data from a digital form. Protecting digital files is one of the primary differences between cybersecurity and information security. Cybersecurity revolves around digital information, networks, and systems.
As organizations turn to the digital world of computer systems, the impact of data breaches increases. Companies are looking to secure their information, ensure non-repudiation, manage cyber risk and properly respond to data breaches, among other threats.
Most business owners think of digital information and computers when they hear information security, but we can store valuable data in different forms.
Information security means protecting data’s confidentiality, integrity, and availability also referred to as CIA. The information being protected can be social media profile, biometrics, data on mobile phones, among others. It is basically the practice of protecting your data despite its form to provide:
- Integrity. This means protecting against destruction and assuring information authenticity. Information needs to be stored in order; hence, unorderly modification by users who are not authorized should be terminated immediately.
- Confidentiality. This means preventing unauthorized access while protecting proprietary information and personal privacy. Data such as personal information is sensitive and highly valuable, and it should be protected from getting into the wrong hands.
- Availability. This involves the timeliness and reliability of the information. It is important that authorized persons access data stored at any time.
What is the Difference Between Cybersecurity and Information Security?
Cybersecurity deals with protecting data in electronic form from attack. Cybersecurity experts participate in protecting the servers, databases, endpoints, and networks. They do that by looking for misconfigurations and security gaps that may create vulnerabilities. They also spot what the critical data is, where it is, identify its risk exposure, and evaluate related technology.
Examples of Cybersecurity
- Network security- This is the act of securing networks from unauthorized access, interference, misuse or interruption of service.
- Cloud security- These are controls, policies, technologies and procedures combined to protect systems and cloud-based infrastructures.
- Application security- This procedure involved identifying, fixing and improving the security of applications against theft of data or code.
- Critical infrastructure- These are tools are used in improving critical infrastructure cybersecurity by giving security services like intrusion prevention system, virus scanners, anti-malware amore others.
Examples of Information Security
- Procedural controls- They prevent, minimize or detect security risks to computer systems, filing cabinets and data centers. They may include security framework, security awareness education, and compliance training.
- Access controls- These show the authorized personnel allowed to use the company’s information and network. These controls also restrict physical access to an organization and virtual access like privileged access authorization.
- Technical controls- They use multi-factor user authentication at firewalls, login and antivirus software.
- Compliance controls- They handle privacy laws and cybersecurity policies created to reduce security threats.
Importance of Cybersecurity
In the era of the digital world, organizations need to ensure security in their digital assets and systems that help them run their daily business activities. Here are some of the benefits of cyber security.
- Multiple Categories of cyber attacks. No organization is safe from cyber threats. Your small business needs cyber security to help you withstand these threats.
- Increased Cybercrimes. The growth of technology like better gadgets, fast broadband, and cloud computing has resulted in the increase of connected devices. This growth has created a space for cybercrime activities. With cyber security, your organization is protected from exposure.
- Protection of Network Storage. Sensitive information such as passwords and banking information can be stored safely on the cloud, which reduces theft.
- Cost Effective. The cost of cybercrimes has increased. You would rather spend less money on cyber security than spend a lot trying to recover from a cyber attack.
- Credibility. Cyber threats prevent people from using online platforms such as websites. Cybersecurity protects your website from such threats and protects your customers as well.
- Viruses. Computer viruses are not healthy for any business. They can corrupt your files and systems. It is therefore important for every organization to implement cybersecurity to save their computers from viruses.
Importance of Information Security
- Increase productivity by maintaining the downtime to a minimum
- Protecting confidential information
- Preventing exploitation of IT networks and systems
- Reducing data breach risks
- Preventing unauthorized access by applying security controls
Information security and cybersecurity are continuously growing. Security teams are not taking any chances in monitoring this growth. To get the best security services, organizations should hire experts with CISA certification.
Contact Us For A Free IT Consultation Or A Free SaaS Audit On Your Network
Georgia Phone: 1 (770) 936-8020
Colorado Phone: 1 (720) 735-9711